Knives seized during proactive blitz across south-west

South West Metropolitan Region Commander, Acting Assistant Commissioner Gavin Wood, said Operation Saber targets people known to arm themselves with knives and other weapons and who seek to threaten and harm others in the community.

More than 50 people were charged and 15 knives seized, during the two-day proactive operation targeting knife crime, assault and weapons offences across south-west Sydney on Thursday and Friday.

Operation Saber III saw officers from all nine commands and specialist units in the South West Metropolitan Region, Traffic and Highway Patrol Command, and Police Transport Command deployed across the region.

During the high-visibility operation, police charged 57 people for more than 60 offences, including knife, weapons, traffic and drug offences. Police also seized 15 knives and issued 183 infringement notices as well as issued 202 move-on directions.

Acting Assistant Commissioner Wood said the operation is "intelligence-driven" and more are planned for the future.

"Our three deployments for Operation Saber have seen 207 people charged over a variety of offences - including weapons, assaults and drug offences - and our hardworking officers have taken 56 knives off the streets before they could harm someone," he said.

"Our message to them is simple - violence will not be tolerated by the community or by the NSW Police Force. Public safety is our priority and our officers will continue to target and disrupt criminal activity, especially from known offenders, before any further harm can be done to the community."

Incidents of note during the operation include:

  • About 5.15pm on Friday, officers were patrolling the Heckenberg area, when they stopped a Nissan Pulsar for a random breath test on Jagungal Place. The driver, a 19-year-old man, allegedly tried to hide a black bag before subsequent checks revealed he was disqualified from driving. During a search of the vehicle, officers seized resealable bags of cocaine, a mobile phone and $700 in cash in a black bag. The man was arrested and taken to Liverpool Police Station, where he was charged with driving while licence application refused, supplying a prohibited drug, possessing a prohibited drug, dealing with the property proceeds of crime and goods in personal custody suspected of being stolen. The Lurnea man was refused bail and appeared at Parramatta Local Court on Saturday where he was formally granted bail to next appear at Liverpool Local Court on October 23.
  • About 3pm on Friday, a 30-year-old man was stopped at Warwick Farm Railway Station for not wearing a helmet. Subsequent checks reveal the man was wanted for stealing offences. The man was searched and found to be allegedly in possession of a knife. He was arrested and taken to Liverpool Police Station, where he was issued a Court Attendance Notice knife and helmet offences. He is due to appear before Liverpool Local Court on November 16. Inquiries are continuing.
  • About 12.30pm on Friday, officers were called to Wonga Street, Lurnea, following reports a man was allegedly threatening people with an axe. A 28-year-old man was arrested at the scene and an axe seized from a nearby home. He was taken to Liverpool Police Station, where he was charged with using an offensive weapon with intent to commit an indictable offence. He was granted strict conditional bail and is due to appear at Liverpool Local Court on October 28.

Anyone with information about knife-crime or weapons offences are urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000.

This story Knives seized during proactive blitz across south-west first appeared on Liverpool City Champion.