Ex-Olympic swimming coach and Kids Alive founder Laurie Lawrence has partnered with Poolwerx to offer free swimming lessons for children under-five from Friday, September 25 to Sunday, October 4 as part of Learn2Swim Week.
Four Fairfield swim schools have signed on for the water safety initiative. These are:
- IGNITE Swimming, Mount Pritchard
- JUMP! Swim Schools, Cabramatta
- Prairiewood Leisure Centre
- Aquakids Swim School, Smithfield
Mr Lawrence said last year 19 children under-five tragically drowned in Australia, including 12 in backyard pools.
"Drowning remains the leading cause of preventable death for children under the age of five, so it's important kids know how to handle themselves in the water," Mr Lawrence said.
"During last year's campaign, the Learn2Swim Week website received over 6200 lessons requests, which shows the message of water safety is getting through and parents are understanding how vital it is to learn to swim at an early age."
Frank Hochbaum of Poolwerx Wakeley said it is "crucial" to introduce kids to water safety when they are little
"We know swimming is a favourite pastime for all Australians, but sadly, we also know toddlers are most at risk of drowning, particularly in backyards," he said.
"Swimming lessons are also a great way for parents to bond with their little ones, and create fun waterside memories."
- To locate your nearest participating swim school and sign up for a free class, visit learn2swimweek.com. Should swim schools not be not open in certain areas due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a free class voucher will be issued, valid for 12 months.