A temporary 50 per cent discount is now available for off-peak travel by Opal card users on the Sydney public transport network.
Passengers need to tap on outside of the peak periods, 6.30am-10am and 3pm-7pm.
The 50 per cent discount, which is designed to spread passenger numbers during COVID-19, will last for three months after which a permanent 30 per cent discount for off-peak travel will apply.
Off-peak travel periods have been reduced.
The new peak travel times are:
- 6.30am-10am on Sydney Trains, Sydney Metro, light rail and bus (previously 7am-9am).
- 6am-10am on Intercity Trains (previously 6am-8am).
- 3pm-7pm on Sydney Trains, Intercity Trains, Sydney Metro, light rail and bus (previously 4pm-6.30pm).
A new $8.05 ($4 concession) discounted all day travel cap has been introduced on Saturdays and Sundays to help spread weekend public transport loads, particularly on ferries.
Peak fares have increased for bus and light rail journeys between 0-3 kilometres. All other fares will either remain at current levels or reduce by the off-peak discount.
Existing Opal benefits remain the same, including:
- $2 transfer discount.
- Weekday cap of $16.10 ($8 concession).
- $50 weekly travel caps ($25 concession).
- Half price trips after eight journeys in a week.
- $2.50 unlimited travel for Gold Senior / Pensioner Opal card holders.