Closing date for submissions on the draft Residential Tenancies Regulation 2019 is this Friday, August 2, supporting last October's Residential Tenancies Amendment (Review) Act 2018.
Proposed changes include:
- Landlords must not conceal drug crimes;
- Smoke-alarm repair rules;
- Minor alterations a tenant can do;
- Providing mandatory terms for fixed-term tenancies of 20 years;
- Encouraging longer-term leases in five-year fixed terms;
- Updating tenancy agreements and condition reports;
- Expanding the list of offences and increasing penalties; and
- Simplifying clauses.
Chief Executive, REINSW
- More here.