National Burns Awareness Month campaign aims to keep kids safe in the home this winter

Hazard: The kitchen is the number one hotspot for where a child is burned.

Hazard: The kitchen is the number one hotspot for where a child is burned.

Winter is the most dangerous time of the year when it comes to the heightened risk of burns within the home.

Kidsafe, Austalia's leading community organisation dedicated to children injury prevention, has launched its annual campaign to raise awareness against the danger.

National Burns Awareness Month (June) aims to educate families about burns prevention.

A total of 79 per cent of severe burns to children happen in the home.

Each year, more than150 Australian children (aged 0-14 years) are killed and over 68,000 hospitalised as a result of unintentional injuries. Many of these are easily prevented.

Children between the ages of 12-24 months account for 33 per cent of paediatric burn injury cases.

The most common cause of burn injury to children is scalds (such as hot beverages), followed by contact and flame injuries.

In 2018, a total of 67 children between the ages of two months and 16 years presented to Sutherland Hospital's emergency department with burns.

In the same year, 62 children were taken to emergency at St George Hospital with burns.

The most common causes of injury were from hot water, heaters, oven doors/stove tops, frying pans, sunburn, straightening irons, fire places, hot water bottles and candle wax.


  • Ensure you have a working smoke alarm
  • Children's nightwear should be labelled 'low fire danger'
  • Check the expiry date of first aid kits
  • Keep the microwave at a safe height
  • Ensure power boards have surge protectors
  • Keep electrical cords out of sight and reach of children
  • Une back hot plates and turn pot handles around
  • Install child resistant locks on oven doors and safeguard fireplaces and heaters
  • Replace hot water bottles every year
  • Keep chemicals on high shelves
  • Keep hair straighteners and curlers unplugged when not in use
  • Switch off electric blankets before going to sleep