Fairfield students were rewarded for excellence in public education with scholarships at the Proudly Public! public schools awards night at Sydney Town Hall on Wednesday night.
In total there were 21 local scholarship recipients as part of the Public Education Foundation (PEF) national awards which celebrate excellence in public schools. Department of Education secretary Mark Scott said the scholarships aimed to remove barriers to achievement created by social and economic disadvantage.
"These scholarships are about recognising and rewarding student excellence to encourage high-achieving students to continue to maximise their potential," Mr Scott said.
More than a 1000 students have been supported with more than $3 million in scholarship funding since the PEF launched the program 10 years ago.
The Fairfield winners came from five schools across seven of the 37 categories. They were:
Harding Miller Education Foundation Scholarship
- Prairiewood HS: Yen Hoang, Emily Eir, Jessica Nguyen, Lily Nguyen, Heather Sengmany, Laura Song Song Ho and Christine Tran.
- Cabramatta HS: Belinda Huor.
- St Johns Park HS: Linda Nguyen Truong and J-J Crosbie.
- Fairfield HS: Say Paw.
Friends of Zainab Tertiary Scholarship: Prairiewood HS: Matthew Koma.
Friends of Zainab Senior Secondary Scholarship
- Cabramatta HS: Athraa Issa, Salar Alzuhairi, Serly Awnjian and Nohara Albelaty.
- Bossley Park HS: Sandra Abdal.
Malala Yousafzai Scholarship: Cabramatta HS: Rami Al-badri.
Western Sydney Leadership Dialogue Scholarship
- Bossley Park HS: Emily Kamanjasevic.
Trades and Technology Opportunity Scholarship
- Prairiewood HS: Vivien Chor.
Unions NSW Jeff Shaw Memorial Scholarship:
- Prairiewood HS: Monique Rauv.