A man has been charged after he allegedly attempted to rob a man at gunpoint at Cabramatta West last year.
Police said a 65-year-old man was loading items into the back of a car parked in the driveway of his home in Blackett Place about 6.45am on Saturday, December 28, when he was approached by a man armed with a handgun.
Officers said the man allegedly demanded the other man’s wallet, and when he refused, he was hit across the head a number of times with the firearm, resulting in a deep cut.
The armed man fled empty-handed.
Cabramatta police launched an investigation.
On Tuesday March 11 police attempted to stop a vehicle within the Cabramatta area, when it did not stop the police chased it.
A short time later a 28-year-old man allegedly fled from the vehicle and was arrested by police.
He was taken to Liverpool Hospital after complaining of a rib injury.
About 1pm yesterday, Wednesday, March 12, the man was released from hospital and taken to Cabramatta police station.
He was charged with numerous offences including assault with intent to rob whilst armed with a dangerous weapon, drive whilst disqualified and engage in police pursuit.
The man was refused bail to appear at Parramatta Drug Court later today, Thursday, March 13.
Police will allege that during a search of a unit on Hughes Street, Cabramatta, they located a replica pistol that matches the description of the firearm used during the incident.