Detectives have charged 10 members of an alleged drug supply syndicate following police raids in Sydney’s south-west this morning.
Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad (MEOCS) and Fairfield Local Area Command established Strike Force Barcom in March 2016 to investigate violent acts and associated criminal activity in the Fairfield area.
During their inquiries, detectives uncovered links to the supply of cannabis in the area.
Following extensive investigations, strike force investigators, with the assistance of South West Metropolitan Region Enforcement Squad and the Public Order and Riot Squad, executed seven simultaneous search warrants at homes in Fairfield, Cabramatta West, Smithfield and Elizabeth Hills about 6am today, February 15.
During these searches, investigators seized cannabis, cash, mobile phones, SIM cards, clothing, and drug paraphernalia.
Eight people were arrested, including a 29-year-old woman, a 25-year-old man, a 20-year-old man, two 18-year-old men, and three boys – two aged 17 and another aged 15.
They were taken to local police stations.
The 29-year-old woman was charged with supplying a prohibited drug, directing a criminal group, recruiting a child to carry out/assist criminal activity, knowingly dealing with proceeds of crime and acting with intent to pervert the course of justice.
She has been refused bail to appear at Liverpool Local Court today, February 15.
The men and boys were all charged with various drug supply offences, dealing with proceeds of crime and participating in a criminal group.
The 25-year-old man was refused bail to appear at Liverpool Local Court today.
Both 18-year-old and the 20-year-old men were refused bail to appear at Fairfield Local Court today.
All of the teenage boys were refused bail to appear at children’s courts today.
An additional two men were issued future court attendance notices at Parklea and Silverwater.
The 18-year-old man was charged with take part supply cannabis, deal with proceeds of crime, and participate in criminal group.
He is next due to appear at Fairfield Local Court on March 8.
The 26-year-old man was charged with supply of a prohibited drug, knowingly dealing with proceeds of crime, recruiting a child to carry out/assist criminal activity, directing criminal group, and inmate possessing a mobile phone/SIM card.
He is next due to appear at Campbelltown Local Court on March 8.
Detective Chief Inspector Mark Newham from the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad said investigations under Strike Force Barcom are continuing.
“In terms of today’s operation, I am limited in what I can say because there are a number of people before the courts, but these arrests are just the tip of the iceberg,” he said.
“MEOCS are working closely with police across the South West Metropolitan Region to not only reduce the availability of drugs, but also suppress the violent crimes associated with drug supply.
“We are continuing our inquiries into a number of violent incidents, including public place shootings, last year; incidents that show a blatant disregard for community safety and will not be tolerated.
“Strike Force investigators have already put a number of people before the courts for a variety of offences, and there are more arrests to come – anyone who has been involved in these activities should come forward now before we come for you.”
“In terms of today’s operation, I am limited in what I can say because there are a number of people before the courts, but these arrests are just the tip of the iceberg."
Detective Chief Inspector Newsham appealed to anyone with a community-minded spirit to come forward and assist investigators with their inquiries.
Police are urging anyone with information about drug supply to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/
Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence.
NSW Police remind people they should not report crime information via the Police’s Facebook and Twitter pages.