Footage of hooded gunman running towards Ali Jammas in final seconds of his life

IN darkness, the killers drive into a suburban Sydney street, past the house of the man they intend to shoot.

Then they park a few metres away and wait.

And when they see Ali Jammas come out of his Abbotsbury house to collect his wheelie bins, a hooded gunman gets out of a silver car.

CCTV footage from neighbouring homes shows the gunman running towards Mr Jammas.

The man, dressed in dark clothes, then runs back to the passenger side of the car before getting in and speeding off.

What security footage did not capture was the moment six bullets were fired at Mr Jammas.

The NSW Supreme Court has heard four of the bullets struck him and he dropped his phone on the morning of July 12, 2013.

He crawled back into his house but died a short time later.

At the time of the shooting Mr Jammas was on the phone to his cousin.

"He called me in regards to his lawn – he bought some products and he wanted to know how to use it," his cousin told the court on Wednesday.

He said he thought heard Mr Jammas say, "Oh shit" and believed he had dropped his phone.

But not long after he realised what had happened.

"My wife called me about 15 minutes later [saying] that Ali had been shot and I put two and two together," he said.

The Crown alleged that one of the men involved in Mr Jammas' murder was Mahmoud Barakat, 31.

On Tuesday, Crown prosecutor Peter McGrath SC gave his opening address to a jury explaining that a silver Subaru WRX was central to the circumstantial case against Mr Barakat.

Mr McGrath told the court that Mr Barakat was captured on CCTV footage collecting a Subaru WRX from his friend David Younes' house on Wednesday, July 10 – two days before Mr Jammas' murder.

He also explained that Mr Barakat was captured on CCTV footage returning the car to Wycombe Road, Yagoona, about half an hour after the murder.

"The accused walked to Mr Younes' front gate and put something in the letterbox … he then drove away," Mr McGrath said.

Mr McGrath told the jury that Mr Barakat was captured wearing a dark hooded jumper, dark pants and white sport shoes.

This was a similar description that witnesses gave police of the man who shot Mr Jammas in Thorpe Place.

Mr McGrath also said the mobile phones owned by Mr Barakat were not used between 6am and 10.30am on the day of the murder.

The court also heard that Mr Barakat owned a black Range Rover and a Lexus at the time he allegedly borrowed the Subaru from Mr Younes.

When Mr Younes, the owner of the silver Subaru WRX, was brought in for questioning a few weeks later – he called Mr Barakat afterwards and arranged to meet him at the Sefton Hotel.

Mr McGrath told the jury that in order to convict Mr Barakat of murder they must be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that he was either the man who shot Mr Jammas or the man who drove the car, knowing that there was a plan to kill or seriously injure Mr Jammas.

Mr Barakat has pleaded not guilty to one count of murder and remains on bail.

The trial continues before Justice Natalie Adams.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide