SOUTH-WEST Sydney firefighters are warning local residents to be aware of home fire safety this winter.
In the past seven years, there have been 845 home fires in the Liverpool area alone, Fire and Rescue NSW said. These have resulted in 215 injuries and six deaths.
Inspector Kernin Lambert, the service's south-west duty commander, said as the weather cools people tend to overwork electronics and overload power points.
"Don't leave your fire safety to chance," Inspector Lambert said.
"I would like to encourage people to check their smoke alarms are working properly and have working batteries.
"In the dead of the night when a fire begins, an alarm provides an early warning allowing people to get out before the fire gets out of hand."
Inspector Lambert said care was needed around heaters.
"It is recommend that heaters are positioned at least one metre away from clothes, curtains and furniture — this includes anything that has the potential to catch on fire," he said.
"I have seen a number of fires start because people have placed clothes and blankets on top of the heater to help them dry."
Inspector Lambert said he also recommended people be careful with the amount of electronics they are using.
"A lot of electronics have not been used since the summer months and people should be careful when using them heavily."