Week to celebrate scholastic highlights

high school students - ThinkStock pic
high school students - ThinkStock pic

THERE will be 611 Catholic Schools in NSW and the ACT, with 264,700 students looking forward to celebrating Catholic Schools Week (CSW) from Sunday, March 9 to Saturday, March 15.

Executive director of Sydney's Catholic systemic schools Dr Dan White said the central aim of CSW was to allow students and teachers to celebrate and raise awareness about the strength of Catholic education in Australia.

"CSW started 14 years ago as a way to celebrate the contribution that Catholic schools make to the schooling community," he said.

"There will be a variety of events, including school open days and we're also featuring our Newman program for gifted and talented students, along with our social justice outreach programs."

During CSW, individual schools will showcase what life at a Catholic school is like by hosting events, open days and organising activities as well as inviting the communities to come along.

This year's theme: "More than a Great Education" invites Catholic schools to celebrate the history of Catholic education.

"If parents are considering choices for education, they can come to an open day and experience the school culture and learn what opportunities available," Dr White said.

"Every family is welcome at Catholic schools."

Here are some facts about Catholic schools from catholicschools.nsw.edu.au:

■ The number of students attending Catholic schools in Australia has increased by 1.6 per cent, with more than 735, 000 students attending Catholic schools.

■ Sydney has 149 systemic schools, 18 congregational schools and one special school. The Parramatta region has 78 systemic schools, four congregational schools and one special school.

■ State and Federal governments provide about 80 per cent of the cost of Catholic schools, with the remaining 20 per cent coming from parents in the form of school fees, building levies and other charges.

■ The fees charged by individual schools vary.

■ Religious education is an important part of Catholic education.

Details: catholicschools.nsw.edu.au

For more information

visit catholicschools.nsw.edu.au.

This story Week to celebrate scholastic highlights first appeared on Parramatta Sun.