THREE local toy retailers selling dangerous toys have been slapped with fines totalling more than $19,000 as NSW Fair Trading officers cracked down before the Christmas rush.
The toys that were hauled off the shelves were a projectile hazard and a choking hazard that was deemed capable of strangulation or with the potential to start a fire.
Cabramatta's Digital Times was hit with a $9256 fine on January 11 for selling toys that produced an inhalation and ingestion hazard.
Toy Town, which is also in Cabramatta, was fined $1083 on May 24 for the same offence.
Wetherill Park's WP Hot Dollar was slapped with an $8805 fine on September 13 for selling toys that produced an inhalation and an ingestion hazard, as well as a fire hazard.
The Champion was unable to contact the three stores.
So far this year, 17 traders and/or their companies have been prosecuted for offences in 18 locations in metropolitan and regional NSW.
The prosecutions have resulted in $101,894.50 in fines and costs.
Crossbow sets, liquid-filled yo-yo balls, plastic fish with pull cords and a novelty pig lighter were on the list of dangerous items targeted.
NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe said it was "completely unacceptable" for retailers to be selling these dangerous items "particularly given that 15 have been fined before by Fair Trading and six have previously been prosecuted in court".
Wetherill Park's WP Hot Dollar and Cabramatta's Toy Town were repeat offenders.
"Non-compliant toys have the potential to do serious harm to young children," Mr Stowe said. "Dangerous toys can cause young children to choke or stop breathing if small breakable parts are ingested, and non-compliant projectile toys can cause serious eye and other injuries."
Mr Stowe said Fair Trading would clamp down on repeat offenders in the future by seeking Supreme Court injunctions.