SUPERINTENDENT Peter Lennon will neither confirmed nor deny if the officer in controversial footage from the night of the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade was from his local area command.
Video footage was uploaded to YouTube last week showing an 18-year-old reveller being handcuffed and thrown to the ground by an officer on the night of the Darlinghurst parade.
The matter has received widespread attention in mainstream and social media.
A second video released later showed footage of the reveller kicking at officers.
Superintendent Lennon said such videos only gave a "glimpse of what occurred".
"The complication is that you don't get the full record of an incident, and that's why police are looking for witnesses and other footage in relation to the incident," he said.
"It's a matter before the court. An internal investigation is now taking place that looks at that incident and what led up to that incident."
He said there were more than 20 Fairfield officers at the Mardi Gras parade.
The 18-year-old has been issued with three field court attendance notices for assaulting police, resisting arrest and offensive language.
He will appear at Central District Court on April 5.