"HOME sweet home" was the last thing on Thomas Jones's mind when he arrived at his front door last Wednesday after having been discharged from hospital.
Mr Jones, an 82-year-old pensioner who lives in Bossley Park, said his home was in "a hell of a mess". He had gone into hospital on Tuesday, February 26.
"I was in hospital because I've been having problems with my right leg," Mr Jones said.
"Then I came home on Wednesday and was hit in the face with this hell of a mess.
"The windows were smashed, every single drawer was open and clothes were thrown about.
"I just didn't know whether to cry or laugh.
"It's a big kick in the guts, especially at my age."
Mr Jones has lived in Bossley Park since the 1980s and this is the second time his house has been burgled.
"They stole $40,000 worth of jewellery, most of it owned by my wife," he said. "She's now in a nursing home because she has dementia."
Mr Jones said a large sum of cash was stolen too — money which he and his wife had saved to pre-pay funeral costs.
Fairfield local area command duty officer Raven Maharaj said the break and enter had occurred between 6.30am and 11.30am on Tuesday of last week.
Inspector Maharaj said there had been a decrease in Fairfield district break and enters, in spite of the incident at Mr Jones's house.
But Cabramatta police say there has been an increase in the number of break and enters in Cabramatta and Canley Heights.
Crime co-ordinator Jacob Reeves wants neighbours to report suspicious behaviour.
He said the peak time for break and enters was between 6am and noon.
Senior Sergeant Reeves said entry was mainly gained through ground-floor doors.
To report suspicious behaviour, call Cabramatta police on 9725 8999 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
If you would like advice or a free home-security assessment, call the crime prevention officer, Constable Stevo Jokic, on 9725 8999.