Accused murderer Malcolm Naden, once the state's most wanted man, may not be fit to stand trial, a court has heard.
Mr Naden, looking very thin and with a shaved head, appeared in the Supreme Court of NSW on Friday.
His defence barrister, Mark Ierace SC, said there was likely to be a "fitness issue".
Justice Megan Latham set a fitness hearing for March 26.
During proceedings last year, Mr Ierace said Mr Naden was suffering from a "significant" mental health issue, understood to be, in part, a result of his many years alone in the wilderness.
Mr Naden is accused of strangling Kristy Scholes in a bedroom of his grandparents' home in Dubbo in June, 2005, and the suspected murder of Lateesha Nolan, who has not been found since she was reported missing from Dubbo in January, 2005.
Mr Naden disappeared in June 2005, and was captured by police in a bush camp nearly seven years later on March 22, 2012.
Mr Naden is also charged with the attempted murder of a policeman who tried to capture him and several break and enter, stealing and assault charges - all related to his time on the run from police.
He waived his right to a committal hearing in November.
The story Naden may not be fit to stand trial over alleged murders first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.